Friday, March 23, 2012

Vintage Chewing Gum

I think that some of the things I share here, as far as memories go, will largely depend on what part of the world my readers are from.  However, please don't let this stop you from sharing your own memories, as it will be fascinating to learn about things as they are in different parts of the world.


I thought it would be interesting to make a post about vintage chewing gum.  When I was a little girl, I remember Thrills chewing gum.  It looked like Chiclets but it was purple and seriously tasted like soap!

Here is a photo of the old Chiclets.  As you can see on the packages in this photo, the price was 10 cents per package back then.

Next up is the Bazooka bubble gum, which was 5 cents then...and there was a comic inside each one as well.

Then there was Wrigley's...it came in Spearmint, Juicy Fruit and Doublemint.

I remember Doublemint well.  I have fond memories of the old TV ads for this gum.  The jingle was a catchy tune, and in every TV ad they had a set of female twins.  The jingle went, "Makes your mouth feel fresh and clean...after meals and in between.  Doublemint adds to your fun.  Doublemint chewing gum!"  I am amazed that I remember this so vividly after all those years!  :)

Thanks so much for visiting me today, and please feel free to share your own thoughts and memories by clicking on the "comments" button at the end of my post.

11 comments:

  1. Again you have taken me back to the happy days of my youth, Linda.
    The first one is the only one new to me.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, thanks for the post on my blog.
    Pam is absoloutely right, it brings back great memories of when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget Black Jack gum, I always liked it even though it tated kind of wierd at first. We always tried to see how many pieces of gum we could chew at one time, it's a wonder we never choked to death! Enjoyed your cute blog!
    Blessings! Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen,

      Thanks very much for your kind words and for sharing your memories. I looked up the Black Jack gum that you speak of...I don't remember that one. I noticed, though, that Adams, the same company that manufactured Chiclets made the Black Jack. The photo I saw of this gum...it seems as though it was black in colour? I appreciate you sharing your memories, as this is something I didn't know about until now. :)

      Delete
  4. I sure remember Thrills soap...err, I mean gum! For some strange reason I liked the taste of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and thanks so much for your comment. I liked it as well...LOL! :)

      Delete
  5. bazooka gum also had a way to collect the comics and send them in and get free prizes.. i was just sharing that with my daughter the other day..i remember saving like over three hundred and mailing them all in and getting a prize..dont remember though what it was..lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember all but Thrills. In Church, Mom would give us a little piece of Dentyne if we were sitting quietly. Juicy Fruit was my favorite if I couldn't get bubble gum. Remember folding the wrappers to make chains?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Bazooka Bubble Gum; that sure took me back a few years lol
    Love these posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know about Bazooka bubble gum. I didn't found this gum in Romania

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:20 PM

    TEABERRY!!! I loved that gum. To answer your Blackjack question, it was black licorice flavored. I was also quite fond of dubble bubble. These are probably the reasons for so many fillings....

    I remember the doublemint jingle as "have a great great, day day, with doublemint doublemint gum. Chew chew double double good good doublemint doublemint gum." Maybe not in Canada, but here in the States...

    What a delightful blog you have here Linda, I love a trip down memory lane, I came because I was looking for the powdered pepsodent tooth paste I remembered my dad using when I was a kid.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Please do not be shy! I appreciate your kind comments, they are sweet treasures and really make my day! Spammers, do not waste your time, I delete your comments and they do not even show on my blog. Comment moderation is enabled. I do hope that Blogger's changes in the way of proving that you are not a robot do not deter you from commenting! Thank you so much! If you have Google+ and are only allowing Google+ users to comment on your blog, I do not have, nor do I want it. And if you use DISQUS for accepting comments on your blog I don't have that, either, nor do I want it. Thanks!