Tuesday, May 22, 2012

F.W. Woolworth...end of an era (Part 2)

As you can all see, I really loved the F.W. Woolworth stores!  I decided to make my post in two parts due to the amount of photos I have to share and in order to share with you all how much these stores meant to me as a little girl.  Even today I have such fond memories of the stores, and all I have is just that...fond memories.  I am grateful, though, that my memories live on and I am able to share them all with you!


When I was a little girl, my parents would often take me to the F.W. Woolworth store to shop;  especially on a Friday evening or Saturday morning.  If we went on a Saturday morning we would begin our shopping day with breakfast at Woolworth.  We would sit and chat and enjoy a leisurely breakfast and my parents would talk about what they needed to buy that day.  The food was always delicious and fresh, and the price was fantastic!  Most of the shopping (with the exception of food) was done at Woolworth...much to my delight!  


Woolworth sold just about everything!  They had wool, school supplies, sewing needs, pet supplies such as turtle and fish food, bird food...and they even sold budgies, canaries, fish and turtles.  They also sold a good selection of toys, games, colouring books and many more items!  You could hear the birds chirping in the store when you were at the luncheonette or just browsing the store.  It was a great place to shop, I just loved the atmosphere and the selection of goods.


This post will complete my topic of F.W. Woolworth...end of an era.  I hope you all enjoyed seeing the photos and hearing my memories of this amazing store!


Here are the final photos.  First up is the F.W. Woolworth grate.

Next is an old F.W. Woolworth voucher.  I don't recall anything about these vouchers, but I found the photo so I thought it would be good to share with you all.

Next is an old F.W. Woolworth ad...

And another old F.W. Woolworth ad...

Finally, and for the last two photos for this topic are the end of F.W. Woolworth...

Although this is the end of the era for F.W. Woolworth, it is indeed a historic wonder that I will remember for the rest of my life...

Thank you all so much for visiting me here, and I hope you have enjoyed my two posts on F.W. Woolworth...end of an era.  I really look forward to hearing your memories and thoughts.  Please click on the "comments" link at the end of my post to share.

9 comments:

  1. I knew they were much better than today's Dollar Stores, but couldn't put my finger on WHY! Thanks for reminding me! I used to love watching the birds! Do you still have anything that was bought there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, thanks for your comment. So glad you also enjoyed the birds. I no longer have anything that was bought there...it's been decades since they have gone here but in my memory it seems like yesterday.

      Delete
  2. As is often the case, I suspect that it was the second generation that caused its demise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago I was in Dover... Yes, Linda, shopping at Woolworths... Nice to remember... ! Nice little-girl-story as well !
    Lie(f)s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember eating at one in downtown Des Moines when I was young. It a great memory you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As youngsters, my siblings and I bought each others Christmas presents at Woolworths year after year. When I became a music-savvy teenager, I spent many hours there building my collection of 45s and LPs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it as well, a shame it had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a shame that there is no place in modern retailing for a store like Woolworths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, I agree. If I had the means I would love to start a 5 and dime type store...like the dollar stores, except with a lunch counter just like Woolworth had. I would focus on friendly customer service, something that seems to be disappearing at an alarming rate.

      Delete

Please do not be shy! I appreciate your kind comments, they are sweet treasures and really make my day! Spammers, do not waste your time, I delete your comments and they do not even show on my blog. Comment moderation is enabled. I do hope that Blogger's changes in the way of proving that you are not a robot do not deter you from commenting! Thank you so much! If you have Google+ and are only allowing Google+ users to comment on your blog, I do not have, nor do I want it. And if you use DISQUS for accepting comments on your blog I don't have that, either, nor do I want it. Thanks!